Have you been looking for a super easy mash recipe that isn't complicated and tastes amazing?
Well look no more!
I have been making moonshine for over two decades now and have tried all sorts of recipes and measurements. I have experimented with every type of ingredient imaginable, yet the smoothest mash I have ever made is so simple it will surprise you.
If you're a beginner this recipe is perfect for you. This recipe doesn't depend on complex ingredients to break down starch chains into sugars. This recipe is super simple.
It only takes two ingredients (not including the sugar and yeast) and you’ll have the smoothest whiskey run you’ve ever had. Hint: Sweet feed is the secret weapon.
In this article, I give you my top beginner recipe for making the best mash along with easy to follow step-by-step instructions on how to make moonshine, along with some product recommendations.
Don't Forget the 20 Moonshine Recipes Free PDF!
Simply enter your name and email into the form below, and we will send you a link to download the PDF directly to your email. Check your spam or promo folder.
Why is the mash recipe so important?
The mash is the most important factor when talking about the flavor of the whiskey. For example, let’s say you make a whiskey run that turns out to be 110 proof. This means that it’s 55% alcohol. So the other 45% is the water that came from the mash.
Therefore, the mash affects the final product in a huge way.
This recipe will make batch sizes from 3 to 30 gallons by total volume including the grains.
Smoothest Mash Recipe Ingredients List
Now that you have your ingredients, you will need to calculate your batch size in gallons.
I have created the chart below for different size recipes for mash batches in gallons. To alter the batch size just insert numbers from the chart into the instructions that follow. The rest of this article will be an example of a 10 gallon batch.
Step-By-Step Guide To Making Moonshine
Step One: Crack the grains
Cracking the grains is a process to soften the grains to let the flavor out.
In a large pot, add 10 gallons of water. An outdoor turkey fryer pot works great. Bring this water to 160 degrees. I use an outdoor propane burner.
While waiting for the water to come to temperature put one part sweet feed to 2 parts corn in a 5 gallon bucket until its full.
Weigh out your grains in a 2 to 1 ratio. For the 10 gallon batch, this will be 6 lbs of corn and 3 lbs of sweet feed. Set aside until the water reaches 160f.
Now you can add the grains and reduce heat to maintain 160f for 45 minutes. Continuously stir the mash to avoid letting the grains scorch on the bottom of the pot.
I wrote a start-to-finish beginner's guide to making your first batch of moonshine.
It's also a great ebook for those who want to brush up on their moonshine making skills, and learn some new techniques.
In this eBook I take you step-by-step on how to make moonshine, from start to finish.
I also include my best recipes for making moonshine that are tested and true.
Step Two: Mix the Mash
Now dump the cracked grains into a 30 gallon container and stir in 25 lbs. of sugar. When the sugar is dissolved completely add 15 to 20 gallons of cold water until the mash mix reaches 30 gallons by total volume.
Step Three: Add the Yeast
When the temperature of the mash drops down to the recommended temperature by the yeast manufacturer, you can go ahead and add the yeast. I have found that 1 tablespoon of yeast per 5 gallons of mash works well.
A distiller’s yeast will produce the best results. I’ve found that the Red Star brand works really well and is very affordable.
Step Four: Let the Mash Ferment
Now all you have to do is wait. Let the mash do its thing for about a week. You’ll know when the mash is done when you can no longer see the bubbling produced by the yeast as it releases carbon dioxide.
Once the fermentation is complete, strain the liquid to remove the spent solids and place the liquid into your still. This final liquid is called the wash. You only want to put the wash into the still.
And that's it! I told you it was easy!
Many of my readers told me that it can be really hard too find the unpelletized sweet feed for this recipe.
I created an ingredients kit you can purchase which has all the ingredients you need to mash a 10 gallon batch. Check it out!
I hope you have enjoyed this article and will find the recipe easy and fun to make!
You will really enjoy the extremely smooth whiskey that comes from this mash.
Just note that moonshine making is both an art and science, your first batch won't be perfect, and your second batch likely won't either.
However, if you stick to it and learn the nuances of your still, you can be a moonshining making pro in no time!
Please leave me a question or comment below in the comment section.